Nelson Corporation Tramways
Owner Nelson Corporation
Took over 1st March 1900 (Burnley and District Tramways [steam] - jointly with Burnley Corporation, Padiham UDC, Brierfield UDC and Reedley Hallows Parish Council; the latter three authorities and Nelson Corporation leasing their portions of the system to Burnley Corporation)
Lessee (operator) Burnley Corporation (0.76 miles from Burnley boundary to Nelson town centre)
First electric route 16th December 1901 (operated by Burnley Corporation)
Opened 23rd February 1903 (extension to Higherford Bridge)
Operator Nelson Corporation (extension only)
Transferred 1st April 1933 (Burnley, Colne and Nelson Joint Transport Committee)
Length 2.74 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins
Button description Title (‘Nelson Corporation Tramways’) surrounding arms (shield with chevron and 3 cotton sprigs, surmounted by a helmet, torse and cockerel standing on a weaver's shuttle) all above motto: ‘Industry and Integrity’
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [114/48]
Comment On passing to the Burnley, Colne and Nelson Joint Transport Committee (1st April 1933), the system formed the middle section of the line from Burnley to Colne.
A torse is a twisted roll of fabric that was wound around the top of the helm and crest to hold the mantle in place.