Nottingham Corporation Tramways



Owner Nottingham Corporation
Took over
16th October 1897 (Nottingham and District Tramways Company [horse])
Operator Nottingham Corporation
First electric route 1st January 1901
Last horse service 30th April 1902
Closed 5th September 1936
Length 25.39 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Title (‘Corporation Tramways’) in circlet surrounding arms (shield with 3 crowns and a ragged cross, surmounted by castle) with bowmen supporters, all above motto: ‘Vivit Post Funera Virtus’ (Virtue survives death)
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [114/51B]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title (‘Corporation Tramways’) in circlet surrounding arms (shield with 3 crowns and a ragged cross, surmounted by castle) with stag supporters, all above motto: ‘Vivit Post Funera Virtus’ (Virtue survives death)
Materials known Brass; chrome (possibly a sample only)
Button Line reference [114/51A]

Comments
Pattern 1 is definitely the earlier of the two: the bowmen supporters were granted to the city in 1898, but were considered unsatisfactory and were replaced with the stag supporters in 1908.