Wigan (and District) Tramways



Owner Wigan Tramways Company
Opened 31st July 1880 (horse; steam)
Operator Wigan Tramways Company
Taken over 16th October 1891 (Councillor John K Gee - from receivership)
Taken over March 1892 (Wigan and District Tramways Company)
Operator Wigan and District Tramways Company
Taken over (track) June? 1892 (Wigan Corporation)
Operator (lessee) Wigan and District Tramways Company
Took over (operation) 2nd September 1896 (newly built line to Platt Bridge, owned by Wigan Corporation)
Taken over 30th September 1902 (Wigan Corporation Tramways)
Length 5.49 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description Uniforms not worn

Comments Photographs clearly indicate that staff of the Wigan horse and steam tramways wore informal attire (see link) - it is therefore highly unlikely that marked buttons ever existed.