Middlesbrough Corporation Tramways
Middlesbrough Corporation ran its own tramway services for just over 13 years, following the take-over of the lines within the corporation boundary formerly operated by the Middlesbrough, Stockton and Thornaby Electric Tramways Company. Tramcar staff wore double-breasted lancer-style tunics with two rows of five buttons (narrowing from top to bottom, and probably bearering the system initials - see link) and upright collars; the latter possibly carried an employee number on the left-hand side, and system initials - M C T - on the right-hand side, probably in brass. Caps were in the military style and carried script-lettering grade badges - 'Motorman' or 'Conductor' - above which was worn a small municipal shield badge, all probably brass.
Tramcar staff were also issued with double-breasted overcoats with high, fold-over collars and epaulettes; photos suggest that they did not carry any badges.
Photographs depicting inspectors have survived (see below) but only show them in long, double-breasted overcoats with lapels/collars which could be worn open or buttoned up; the collars bore the grade - 'Inspector' - on both sides in embroidered script lettering. It is unclear what jackets, if any, were worn underneath. Caps were in the military style and bore a similar badge to tramcar staff, but somewhat larger and surrounded by a scroll within which was the corporation name: 'Middlesbrough'.
Motormen and conductors
Motorman at the controls of Tramcar No 41, still retaining the number and livery of its erstwhile owners, Middlesbrough, Stockton and Thornaby Electric Tramways. Given that this vehicle was renumbered by Middlesbrough, it seems likely that the photograph was taken shortly after the corporation takeover of 1921. The subject is wearing a standard, script-lettering 'Motorman' cap badge, along with a small badge above, almost certainly that depicted below. Author's Collection.
Middlesbrough Corporation cap badge - brass - almost certainly of the pattern issued to tramcar staff and worn above their script-lettering grade badges. Author's Collection.
General pattern script-lettering cap badges - Motorman and Conductor - of the type used by Middlesbrough Corporation Tramways - brass.
Two corporation staff look on as the motorman of Tramcar No 120 manoeuvres his vehicle at what is possibly the terminus at North Ormesby - photo undated, but probably taken in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Author's Collection.
A blow-up of the above photo showing the motorman, who is wearing a greatcoat with high, fold-over collars and epaulettes, all devoid of insignia. His cap however carries the usual municipal shield and script-lettering grade badge.
The conductor of Tramcar No 100 poses for the Camera of Dr H Nicol on 14th November 1932. With thanks to the National Tramway Museum.
Middlesbrough Corporation cap badge - chrome. This almost certainly post dates the demise of the tramway, n all likelihood being issued to staff working the buses and trolleybuses. Author's Collection.
Civic dignitaries and a couple of inspectors pose with one of the newly delivered 132-140 series of tramcars, very probably taken in 1921.
Blow-ups of the above photograph showing the two inspectors. The distinctive shape of the cap badge is easily discerned.
Middlesbrough Corporation Tramways inspector's cap badge - brass. Author's Collection.
Middlesbrough Corporation inspector's cap badge - Nickel. The use of this material probably post-dates the demise of the tramway. Courtesy of the Stephen Howarth Collection.