Morecambe Corporation Tramways
Although Morecambe Corporation had been a tramway owner since 1898, it wasn't until 1909 that it operated services itself, prior to this, leasing its line to the Morecambe Tramways Company. Several photographs exist which suggest that the Corporation initially continued the policy of the tramway company (see link), with staff wearing smart but informal attire: shirt, tie, jacket and trousers, along with the fashionable headgear of the day, the flat cap.
Around the time of the Great War, or shortly thereafter, the Corporation appears to have begun issuing tramcar staff with uniforms, though possibly only those individuals working full time, as some photographs from this period show individuals in informal attire. Although drivers certainly wore double-breasted, cross-over style tunics, with buttons narrowing from top to bottom, it is currently unclear whether conductors wore the same tunics. Caps were in the upright military style, though whether or not they bore cap badges is also unknown.
It is currently unclear whether inspectors were employed by the company, or whether female staff were employed during the Great War.
Drivers and conductors
Uniformed crew of an unidentified Corporation horsecar - photo undated, but possibly taken shortly after the Great War. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with thanks to David Voice.
Horsecar No 13 with driver, and possibly a conductress, both seemingly in informal attire - photo undated, but judging by the large flat cap, probably taken in the 1920s. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with thanks to David Voice.
The driver of Horsecar No 8 unhitches his horses at Bare on the last day of operation, 6th October 1926. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with thanks to David Voice.
A corporation horsecar with uniformed crew on the promenade opposite Central Pier - photo undated, but probably taken in the 1920s.