Burnley Corporation Tramways



Owner Burnley Corporation
Took over
1st March 1900 (Burnley and District Tramways [steam] - jointly with Nelson Corporation, Padiham UDC, Brierfield UDC and Reedley Hallows Parish Council; the other four authorities leasing their portions of the system to Burnley Corporation)
First electric route 16th December 1901
Operator (and lessee) Burnley Corporation
Transferred 1st April 1933 (Burnley, Colne and Nelson Joint Transport Committee)
Length 13.05 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description
Title (‘Burnley Corporation Tramways’) surrounding arms (shield with a chevron and three roses beneath a bar containing two bees; surmounted by a helmet, garlands, torse and stork)
Materials known Brass; black horn
Button Line reference [113/13]

Comment
A torse is a twisted roll of fabric that was wound around the top of the helm and crest to hold the mantle in place. The stork is a play on words, and refers to the local Starky family.