Ashton-under-Lyne Corporation Tramways



Owner Ashton-under-Lyne Corporation
Opened 16th August 1902 (electric)
Operator Ashton-under-Lyne Corporation (including 1.35 miles leased from Hurst Urban District Council)
Took over (track) 31st March 1903 (Manchester Carriage and Tramway Company Limited) - lines within the municipal boundary
Taken over (operation) April 1906 (Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Tramways and Electricity Board - service from junction with SHM&D to Ashton town centre)
Took over (ownership) 24th May 1921 (lines and assets of the Oldham, Ashton and Hyde Electric Tramways, a subsidiary of the British Electric Traction Company Limited; 3.31 miles with the boundaries of Ashton Corporation, Waterloo UDC and Limehurst UDC)
Took over (operation) 2nd July 1921 (lines of the former Oldham, Ashton and Hyde Electric Tramways within the boundaries of Ashton Corporation, Waterloo UDC and Limehurst UDC)
Took over 1926 (1.35 miles of track owned by Hurst UDC on absorbtion of the latter)
Name changed April 1932 (Ashton-under-Lyne Corporation Passenger Transport Department)
Closed 1st March 1938
Length 6.92 miles (not including former OA&HET tracks)
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Title ('Ashton-under-Lyne Corporation Tramways') in circlet, surrounding arms (shield with five-pointed star and crescent, surmounted by garlands and a tower with a griffin's head, all above motto: ‘Labor Omni Vincit’ (work conquers everything)
Materials known Chrome; nickel
Button Line reference [113/5]

Comment The star is taken from the arms of a local family - the Asshetons - whilst the motto is a much used quote from the Roman poet and philosopher, Virgil, from a poem written around 29 B.C.