Bradford City Tramways



Owner Bradford Corporation
Opened 1st February 1882 (horse)
Operator (lessee) Bradford Tramways and Omnibus Company
Operator (lessee) 6th September 1884 (Bradford and Shelf Tramway Company [steam]) - new line to Shelf
First electric route 30th July 1898
Took over (operation) 1st February 1902 (all lines previously worked by the BT&OCo and the B&STCo, including those owned by Shipley UDC, and those formerly owned by North Bierley Local Board [absorbed by Bradford in 1899])
Last horse service May 1902 (Park Gates to North Park Rd route of the former BT&OCo)
Last steam service
1st April 1903 (on the former B&STCo line)
Took over June 1903 (1,286 yards of track in Shelf owned by the Shelf Tramways Company)
Took over (operation) 30th April 1904 (Mid-Yorkshire Tramways [electric] - track and fittings remaining in the ownership of Shipley UDC)
Closed 6th May 1950
Length 64.54 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Boar’s head (without tongue) on a torse, in front of a sprouting tree, set within a prominent rim
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2)
Title (‘Bradford City Tramways’) within a border, surrounding boar's head (without tongue) on a torse, in front of a sprouting tree
Materials known Black horn
Button Line reference [114/82B]

Button description (Pattern 3) Arms (shield with inverted chevron and three hunting horns, surmounted by a boar’s head), with ram and goat supporters, all above motto: ‘Labor Omnia Vincit’ (Labour conquers all things), set within a prominent rim
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 4)
Title (‘Bradford City Tramways’) within a border, surrounding arms (shield with inverted chevron and three hunting horns, surmounted by a boar’s head), with ram and goat supporters, all above motto: ‘Labor Omnia Vincit’ (Labour conquers all things)
Materials known Black horn
Button Line reference [114/82A]

Comments The Pattern 1 & 2 buttons predate the granting of the ram and goat supporters to the City of Bradford on the 31st January 1908. After this date, a change was made to the new ‘coat of arms’ buttons (Patterns 3 & 4) and these buttons continued right through into the 'Bradford City Transport' era, the sole change being the substitution of the word ’Tramways’ for ’Transport’. The Pattern 2 and Pattern 4 buttons were presumably used on greatcoats and raincoats, though it remains something of a mystery as to why the corporation saw fit to state the full system name in this material but not on the standard issue jacket buttons (Patterns 1 and 3) - I know of no other tramway company/corporation which did this.