Birmingham Central Tramways



Owner Birmingham Central Tramways Company Ltd (formerly the Birmingham Suburban Tramways Company)
First horse service 11th November 1884 - Birmingham Corporation-owned Nechells route
First steam service 25th November 1884 - Birmingham Corporation-owned Perry Barr route
Took over (operation) 29th December 1884 to 16th January 1886 - Birmingham Corporation-owned Moseley Rd, Sparkbrook, Lozells, Saltley Rd and Small Heath routes [steam]
Took over (operation) 1st January 1886 - Birmingham Corporation-owned lines formerly worked by Birmingham and District Tramways and its successor, the Birmingham Tramways and Omnibus Co Ltd
Took over (company) 1st January 1886 (Birmingham Tramways and Omnibus Company Ltd) - assets and lines (outside the corporation boundary)
Took over (operation) 25th October 1886 - Birmingham Corporation-owned lines in Wheeler St and Great Hampton Row
First cable service 24th March 1888 - newly converted and regauged, Birmingham Corporation-owned Colmore Row to Hockley Brook line
First battery-electric service 24th July 1890 - regauged, Birmingham Corporation-owned Bristol Rd line
Taken over 29th September 1896 (City of Birmingham Tramways Co Ltd)
Length 36.65 miles?
Gauge 3ft 6ins; 4ft 8½ins (lines originally operated by the BT&OCoLtd)

Button description Uniforms not worn

Comment Photographs (see link) suggest that the only uniform item issued by the company was a kepi-style cap, so it is highly unlikely that marked uniform buttons ever existed.