Bradford and Shelf Tramways



Owner Bradford Corporation
Inaugural service 6th September 1884 (steam) - Town Hall to Bankfoot line
Operator (lessee) Bradford and Shelf Tramways Company Limited
Took over (operation) 11th June to July 1886 - newly built line from Bankfoot to Shelf, owned by Bradford Corporation, North Bierley Local Board and the Shelf Tramway Company (a shell company owned by the B&STCo)
Took over (operation) 24th February 1892 - Wyke line, owned by North Bierley Local Board
Taken over 1st February 1902 (Bradford Corporation) - including lines owned by The Shelf Tramway Company
Length 7.54 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description Pattern of button currently unknown

Comment Photos indicate that conductors initially wore a variety of informal attire, but that later on, uniforms were issued which clearly bore metal buttons (see link). None have however come to light, suggesting that they were either plain, or that if they were marked, then they are not readily identifiable as issues of the Bradford and Shelf Tramways Company (e.g. there bear a monogram or initials).