Birkenhead Corporation Tramways



Owner Birkenhead Corporation
Took over (track) 1889 (Birkenhead Tramways [horse] - purchased from liquidators)
Operator (lessee) 15th August 1890 (Birkenhead United Tramway, Omnibus and Carriage Company Ltd)
Took over (track) October 1894 (Wirral Tramway Company [horse] - lines within borough)
Operator (lessee) 11th March 1895 (Wirral Tramway Company - tracks formerly owned by the WTCo)
Took over (track) 31st December 1899 (Wirral Tramway Company - remaining company-owned track in Lower Bebington)
Operation ceased 8th May 1900 (Wirral Tramway Company - former company-owned track leased from the corporation)
Took over (lessee) mid May 1900 (Birkenhead United Tramway, Omnibus and Carriage Company Ltd - lines of the former Wirral Tramway Company)
Operation ceased 31st December 1900 (Birkenhead United Tramway, Omnibus and Carriage Company Ltd - lines of the former Birkenhead Tramways)
Operation ceased 22nd January 1901 (Birkenhead United Tramway, Omnibus and Carriage Company Ltd - lines of the former Wirral Tramway Company)
First electric route
4th February 1901
Operator Birkenhead Corporation
Closed 17th July 1937
Length 79.08 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Title (‘Birkenhead Corporation Tramways’) surrounding arms (quartered shield surmounted by helmet, foliage and lion) above motto ‘Ubi Fides Ibi Lux Et Robur’ (Where there is faith there is light and strength)
Materials known Nickel; black horn
Button Line reference [113/6]