Accrington Corporation Tramways



Owner Accrington Corporation
Opened 5th April 1886 (steam)
Operator (lessee) Accrington Corporation Steam Tramways Company
First electric route 2nd August 1907
Operator Accrington Corporation
Took over 20th September 1907 (assets of the ACSTCo)
Taken over (operation) 1st January 1908 (Haslingden Corporation - Haslingden-owned lines formerly leased to the ACSTCo)
Took over (operation)
28th September 1908 (newly electrified lines owned by Haslingden Corporation)
Closed 6th January 1932
Length 7.02 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description Title ('Accrington Corporation Tramways') in circlet, surrounding arms (shield with printing cylinder, paper, shuttle etc, surmounted by an oak branch and foliage), all above motto: ‘Industry and Prudence Conquer’
Materials known Brass; re-chrome; nickel
Button Line reference [113/1]

Comment Despite the name, 'Accrington Corporation Steam Tramways Company' was actually an independent company with no connection to Accrington Corporation, other than the usual leasing arrangements.