Birmingham and District Tramways



Owner Birmingham and District Tramways Co Ltd
Opened 20th May 1872 (horse)
Operator Birmingham and District Tramways Co Ltd
Took over (lease) 6th September 1876 (Birmingham Corporation) - newly built line from Colmore Row to Hockley Brook.
Taken over (company) 24th May 1876 (Birmingham Tramways and Omnibus Company Ltd)
Took over (lease) 17th June 1876 (Birmingham Corporation) - newly built Bristol Rd line.
Taken over (operation) 1st January 1886 (Birmingham Central Tramways Company) - Birmingham Corporation-owned lines following expiry of the lease
Taken over (company) 1st January 1886 (Birmingham Central Tramways Company) - remaining assets, including lines outside the corporation boundary
Length 6.69 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Pattern of button currently unknown

Comments Photographs of tramcar crews working the horse-drawn services, either under the auspices of the B&DTCo or its successor, the BT&OCoLtd, appear not to have survived, so it is currently not possible to say whether staff wore uniforms, though if Birmingham's other horse and steam tramway operators were anything to go by, very probably not.