Dublin Tramways Company
The Dublin Tramways Company operated horse trams for just over 9 years - from February 1872 to July 1881 - following which, the company, along with the other two city centre tramways (the Dublin Central Tramways Company and the North Dublin Street Tramways Company) was subsumed into the newly formed Dublin United Tramways Company.
Photographs which unequivocally date from the above period are very rare, and those that have survived do not show crew members at all clearly; it is therefore impossible to state with any degree of certainty whether or not horsecar crews wore uniforms, or for that matter, any other form of official insignia such as badges or licences. However, given that the successor company - the DUTCo - did not see fit to issue uniforms to its staff until the advent of electrified services, some 15+ years later, it seems highly likely that staff of the DTCo simply wore informal attire: jackets, shirt and ties, along with the fashionable headgear of the day, in all probability the bowler hat.
For a short history of this system, see: Through Streets Broad and Narrow' by Michael Corcoran; Midland Publishing (2000).
Horse tram drivers and conductors
An unidentified DTCo horsecar at the corner of Bachelor's Walk and Carlisle Bridge (renamed O'Connell Bridge in 1882) - photo undated, but given the Dublin Tramways Company name on the rocker panel, and the fact that Carlisle Bridge appears to still be in its unwidened form, certainly taken prior to 1877. It is unclear which of the two figures either side of the horses is the driver, though both men appear to be wearing informal attire, along with trilby hats. Photo courtesy of Jim Kilroy, tram archivist at the National Transport Museum.