Neath Corporation Tramways



Took over 7th August 1896 (Neath and District Tramways Company)
Operator British Gas Traction Company Ltd (a subsidiary of the Germany company, Luhrig)
Last horse service 29th August 1899
First gas service 31st August 1899
Operator (lessee) British Gas Traction Company Ltd
Taken over (operation) Early 1902 (Neath Gas Traction Company)
Name changed (lessee) Late 1902 (to the Provincial Gas Traction Company Ltd)
Taken over (operation) 10th June 1916 (Neath Corporation)
Closed 8th August 1920
Length 3.96 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Pattern of button currently unknown

Comment Photographs taken during the gas tram era (see link) clearly show that staff wore standard 'tramway' uniforms; however, as marked buttons have not come to light, it seems likely that the uniforms bore plain buttons.

Neath was one of only three systems in the UK to operate gas trams, the others being Blackpool, St Anne's and Lytham Tramways and Trafford Park Tramways.