North Staffordshire Tramways

Owner North Staffordshire Tramways Company Ltd
Took over 17th March 1880 (Staffordshire Potteries Street Railway Company Ltd [horse]) - retrospectively, following various approvals
Operator (lessee) Mr Bradford
First steam service 23rd April 1881
Last standard-gauge horse service 28th (?) September 1881
Last 4ft-gauge horse service Late 1884
Controlling interest acquired 1897 (by the British Electric Traction Company Limited)
Company transferred 26th January 1899 (to the Potteries Electric Traction Company Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the BETCo)
First electric service 15th May 1899
Last steam service June 1899
Operator North Staffordshire Tramways Company Ltd
Taken over (operation) 21st November 1899 (Potteries Electric Traction Company Ltd)
Length 6.64 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins (horse); 4ft 0ins (horse and steam)

Button description Uniforms not issued (see link)

Comment Although the NSTCo became a subsidiary of the PETCo, a rather strange state of affairs existed whereby the NSTCo continued as the owning company, with the PETCo working the company's lines. This complex relationship was only resolved in March 1932 with the liquidation of the NSTCo, almost four years after the closure of the tramway.