Rawtenstall Corporation Tramways



Owner Rawtenstall Corporation
Took over 1st January 1908 Accrington Corporation Steam Tramways Company) - track within the municipal boundary, and the engines, trailers and assets necessary to work it
Operator Haslingden Corporation
Took over (operation) September/October 1908 - Rawtenstall to Lockgate services previously worked by Haslingden Corporation (the precise date appears not to have been recorded)
Took over 1st October 1908 (Rossendale Valley Tramways [steam], a British Electric Traction Company subsidiary), jointly with Bacup Corporation (owners of 2.36 miles of the 6.35-mile system)
Operator Rawtenstall Corporation
First electric route 15th May 1909
Last steam service 22nd July 1909
Closed 31st March 1932
Length 11.75 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description Title (‘RAWTENSTALL CORPORATION TRAMWAYS’) within a border, surrounding the municipal arms (a shield bearing two stags, a hand, a wolf, woolpacks, and two cows) with a squirrel crest, all above the motto: ‘FLORET QUI LABORAT’
Materials known Nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [114/57]

Comment The squirrel, stags and wolf are all emblems of the Forest of Rossendale, which once surrounded Rawtenstall.

Following Accrington's partial take-over of the ACSTCo in September 1907, steam services in Accrington, Haslingden and Rawtenstall continued to be operated by the company under a contract arrangement. This arrangement ceased on the 31st December 1907, with Haslingden and Rawtenstall corporations purchasing their share of the company the next day, and Haslingden taking over operation, including the Lockgate to Rawtenstall section acquired by Rawtenstall Corporation.

Given that Rawtenstall's omnibus operations were branded as 'Rawtenstall Corporation Motors', tramwaymen would only ever have worn uniforms bearing 'Rawtenstall Corporation Tramways' buttons.