Blackrock and Kingstown Tramway

History
Although the Blackrock and Kingstown Tramway Company operated Irish standard-gauge (5ft 3ins) horse trams for some 8 years — from its opening on the 8th July 1885 to its take-over by the grandly titled Imperial Tramways Company (ITCoLtd) on the 24th August 1893 — there is precious little in the way of documentary evidence to say that it ever existed; furthermore, it would appear that not a single photograph has survived.

The B&KT ran for some 2.54 miles from the Town Hall in Blackrock, southeastwards to Kingstown (now known as Dun Laoghaire), and actually joined two disconnected and differently gauged sections of the Dublin Southern District Tramway. At the northern end, it met the 5ft 3ins-gauge DSDT line from Haddington Rd in Dublin, and at the southern end the 4ft 0ins-gauge DSDT line to Dalkey. The tracks at the southern end were of different gauges, so were definitely not connected; at the northern end, although the tracks were connected, apparently no through running ever took place.

The B&KTCo sold out to the DSDT's parent company — the ITCoLtd — as a prelude to electrification and relaying (to a single gauge of 5ft 3ins) of the whole line from Dublin to Dalkey. The first electric services over the new line began on the 16th May 1896; it is currently unclear when the last horse tram ran over former B&KTCo metals.

Uniforms
It is currently unclear whether staff wore uniforms, though given the dearth of surviving material, this may never be known.

Further reading
For a history of the DSDT (which covers the B&KT), see: 'Dublin Southern District Tramways' by A T Newham, in The Tramway Review, Nos 46 (p138-144), 47 (p159-168) and 48 (p171-180); Light Railway Transport League (1966).