Birmingham and Midland Tramways
(including the Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee)
The Birmingham and Midland Tramways Company only operated horse trams itself for a very brief period, and then only over the short Spon and Bromford Lane routes to West Bromwich, subsequently leasing these services to a Mr B Crowther, who worked them up to electrification. Somewhat surprisingly, a few good quality photographs have survived which show that staff working these horsecar services wore informal but smart attire, comprising trousers, jackets and waistcoats, along with white shirts, ties, and bowler hats, though in later years flat caps seem to have been more the vogue. Staff also wore long, heavy greatcoats, which along with the rest of their work clothing, were presumably purchased by the individuals themselves. Conductor's may have worn a municipal licence, though this is far from clear.
Photographs of steam-hauled services are relatively common, and a fair few have survived that show the staff working them in reasonable close-up. In common with the majority of UK steam-operated tramways, drivers wore very similar attire to their railway counterparts, namely, heavy cotton trousers and jackets, often light in colour, along with greaseproof caps or flat caps. No badges or insignia appear to have been worn on either the jackets or the caps. In the early years, conductors were issued with single-breasted jackets with five metal buttons (presumably bearing the full company title - see link) and lapels; it is unclear if the latter bore any insignia. Caps were in the kepi style and bore a large and distinctively shaped cap badge. For some reason now unknown, it would appear that the company ceased to issue uniforms in the late 1880s or early 1890s. Although photos taken subsequently clearly show staff wearing single-breasted jackets with lapels, and soft-topped caps, the jackets do not appear to have borne reflective buttons (suggesting that they were plain composite), nor did the caps carry a badge.
Conductors during all eras always wore a round municipal licence, probably brass, and the same pattern as shown below.
Although the tramway was taken over by the British Electric Traction Company (BETCo) in 1899, the latter appears to have been content to continue the policy of the predecessor company, only issuing new uniforms following electrification. Over the course of its history, BETCo either owned, part-owned or leased almost 50 tramway concerns in the British Isles, across which it largely imposed a standard uniform policy. Although jackets appeared to vary somewhat between BET systems, as well as across the decades, the cap badges, collar designations and buttons invariably followed a standard pattern. However, in the case of the BETCo's Black Country and Birmingham systems (see link), the parent company appears to have initially allowed each of its operating companies a degree of autonomy, and this was certainly reflected in the uniforms worn. Initial issues to B&MT electric-car staff appear to have been single-breasted with high, fold-over collars; the latter probably carried badges, but these cannot be made out on surviving photographs. Caps were military in style, and curiously, carried 'off the shelf', script-lettering grade badges - either 'Conductor' or 'Driver' - rather than the standard BETCo 'Magnet & Wheel' cap badge used by all other BETCo-controlled tramway companies. These badges were almost certainly brass.
From the 1st July 1904 however, shares in all the BET's Black Country and Birmingham companies were transferred to the Birmingham and Midland Tramways Co Ltd, all systems subsequently being operated by a newly formed body called the Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee. At some point afterwards, it is unclear exactly when, a standard uniform policy was imposed across all the member companies, including the B&MT. Motormen and conductors were issued with double-breasted jackets with two rows of four buttons (almost certainly the standard BETCo 'Magnet and Wheel' pattern - see link) and high, fold-over collars; the latter carried individual metal initials - either 'B M T' or 'B & M T' - on the right-hand side and an employee number on the left-hand side, almost certainly in brass. Surviving examples suggest that the first collar badges may have had diagonal striations giving a rope effect (see below). Caps were initially in the kepi style, and carried a prominent oval brass cap badge that consisted of intertwined 'BMT' initials beneath the 'Magnet and Wheel' device, all within a wreath (see below). As the B&MT did not operate electric services itself until after the creation of the B&MTJC, it seems highly likely that staff wore the newly issued B&MTJC uniforms from the inception of these new services.
At some point prior to the Great War, caps were changed to an upright military style, though they continued to carry the same cap badge. Jackets varied subtly in style across the decades, always double-breasted, but sometimes with four buttons and sometimes five, and with three waist-level pockets. The jackets could be worn open at the neck giving the effect of lapels or buttoned up; the collar insignia remained unchanged throughout the life of the tramway. Double-breasted overcoats were also issued; these had high, fold-over collars that carried the same badges as the jackets worn underneath.
Photographs of inspectors indicate that they wore single-breasted jackets with hidden buttons and upright collars; the latter bore 'Inspector' in embroidered script lettering. Caps were initially in the kepi style ,but were later on changed to a military style. During B&MTJC days (1904 onwards) the caps carried the grade - 'Inspector' - in embroidered script lettering, as well as the standard BMT cap badge (worn above the grade badge).
Female staff were undoubtedly employed in significant numbers during the Great War to replace men lost to the armed services - photographic evidence is however currently lacking, so it is not possible to say what uniforms were worn.
Horse tram drivers and conductors
Horsecar owned by Mr B Crowther (who may be one of those depicted) at the West Bromwich terminus of the Spon Lane route, which he worked on behalf of Birmingham and Midland Tramways - photo undated, but probably taken in the mid 1890s. The conductor may be wearing a municipal licence, though this is far from clear. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with particular thanks to David Voice.
Birmingham and Midland Tramways Horsecar No 23 at West Bromwich - photo believed to have been taken in 1900. Both men are actually employees of Mr B Crowther, to whom the Spon Lane services, and latterly two B&MT horsecars, including this one, were leased. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with particular thanks to David Voice.
Steam tram drivers and conductors
Driver, conductor (right) and possibly an inspector (left?) with Thomas Green-built Steam Tram No 13 outside the Cape of Good Hope Inn in Smethwick in 1885, the year the engine was built. The conductor and inspector are clearly wearing uniforms with kepi-style caps and prominent cap badges. With thanks to the National Tramway Museum.
Two conductors pose in front of Steam Trailer No 17 at West Smethwick depot - photo undated, but probably taken in the late 1880s or early 1890s. By this time, the company had clearly stopped issuing uniforms and cap badges. Both men are wearing municipal licences, probably of the pattern shown below. With thanks to the National Tramway Museum.
Birmingham municipal licence, almost certainly the same pattern issued to Birmingham and Midland conductors during the horse and steam tram eras.
Birmingham and Midland Tramways rebuilt Kitson Steam Tram No 18 and Steam Trailer No 18 (?) pictured with a Windmill Lane to Smethwick service, in all likelihood outside Windmill Lane depot - photo undated, but probably taken in the late 1890s. With thanks to the National Tramway Museum.
Blow-up of the above photo showing the conductor's attire - note the licence and seeming absence of a cap badge.
An excellent illustration of the filthy nature of the work involved in working steam tram engines, in this case, Kitson-built B&MT No 11 - photo probably taken at Windmill Lane depot around the turn of the century, given the battered condition of the engine. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with thanks to David Voice.
A blow-up taken from the same photograph as the crew photo above, showing the conductor on the platform of Steam Trailer Car No 17. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with thanks to David Voice.
Driver and conductor with B&MT-assembled Kitson Steam Tram No 26 on a Birmingham-Windmill Lane-Smethwick service - photo undated, but probably taken around the turn of the century given that the trailer was built in 1899. Photo courtesy of the Tramways and Light Railway Society, with thanks to David Voice.
Motormen and conductors
A youthful conductor and his motorman with Tramcar No 7 in St Paul's Rd, Smethwick - photo undated, but judging by the relatively good condition of the tram, probably taken in 1905 or 1906 (it was built in 1904). Both men are wearing script-lettering grade cap badges. The standard BETCo 'Magnet & Wheel' cap badge is nowhere to be seen, despite the fact that the tram side panel carries it prominently (not shown). A Photo courtesy of the National Tramway Museum.
General pattern script-lettering cap badges - Driver and Conductor - almost certainly issued in brass by the B&MT.
Birmingham municipal driver's licence (No 122) - brass. This pattern of badge is possibly the type issued to drivers working the company's electric services, at least in the early years. Author's collection.
An excellent shot of a Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee tramwayman (No 100) - photo undated, but very probably late Edwardian. It is unfortunately not possible to say which of the five constituent companies of the B&MTJC he actually worked for. Photo courtesy of the Stephen Howarth collection.
A blow-up of the above photo showing details of the collar insignia (individual 'B&MT' initials and employee number, '100') as well as the cap badge, an example of which is depicted below.
Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee cap badge - brass. Note the use of the parent company's (British Electric Traction Company) 'Magnet and Wheel' symbol.
Probable Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee early 'rope effect' collar initials and collar number. Author's Collection.
Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee employee No 327. Note that his collar initials are simply 'B M T' rather than 'B&MT'. He is also wearing a more modern upright military style cap. Author's collection.
A B&MTJC inspector at a City of Birmingham Tramways Company depot circa 1906/7 - the tram in the background is No 229. Author's collection.