Ayr Corporation Tramways
Motormen and conductors wore double-breasted 'lancer-style' tunics with two rows of five nickel buttons (narrowing from top to bottom, and bearing the full system title and municipal device - see link) and upright collars; the latter bore system initials - 'A C T' - on the bearer's right-hand side and an employee number on the left, both in individual letters/numerals, almost certainly nickel to match the buttons. Caps were soft-topped with a glossy peak, and bore a script-lettering grade badge, either 'Driver' or 'Conductor', again presumably in nickel.
Several photographs taken in the early years of operation, show that some conductors wore single-breasted jackets without marked buttons or badges of any kind, suggesting that uniforms may have been in short supply at some point.
The script-lettering cap badges were very quickly superseded by a titled tramways cap badge; this bore the Ayr shield and title on a regimental-style cross, surmounted by a king's crown. This design seems very odd for a municipal tramway, especially the use of a crown, which almost everywhere else in the UK civilian world was reserved for police usage.
At some point prior to the Great War, probably in the Edwardian era, the soft-topped caps were replaced by more modern military-style caps with a tensioned crown (top); they continued to carry the same 'tramways' cap badge.
The style of the uniforms was changed one last time - probably in the 1920s - to a smart double-breasted design with two rows of four buttons, three waist/hip-level pockets (with flap closures) and lapels; the upper part of the latter (the collars) probably bore a one-piece nickel initials badge on the bearer's right-hand side - 'A.C.T' - and an employee number on the left, preceded by a grade letter ('D' is known, but presumably 'C' existed as well').
Motormen and conductors were also issued with double-breasted greatcoats with high fold-over collars (piped); the latter bore system initials on the bearer's right-hand side and an employee number on the left.
Photographs of inspectors from the early years of operation are yet to come to light, so it is currently not possible to state what uniforms they wore. By 1916 however, they were certainly wearing typical 'tramway inspector' garb: single-breasted jackets edged in a finer material than the main body, with hidden buttons (or an hook and eye affair) and upright collars; the latter probably bore the grade - 'Inspector' - in embroidered script lettering. Caps were in the same military style as worn by the tramcar crews, but with the grade in embroidered script-lettering on a hat band.
In common with many tramway systems during the Great War, Ayr employed numerous female staff to cover for the severe shortages caused by military service, both as conductresses and as motorwomen. These ladies were issued with long skirts, tailored single-breasted jackets with four buttons, two waist and two breast pockets (with button closures), lapels and epaulettes (also with button closure); neither lapels nor epaulettes appear to have borne insignia. Headgear took the form of a waterproof bonnet with a hat band around it; it is unclear whether this carried a badge or not. By 1917, only nine of the entire tramcar staff were male.
For a full history of Ayr Corporation Tramways, see 'The Tramways of Ayr' by Ronald W Brash (N B Traction; 1983).
Motormen and conductors
Ayr Corporation Tramways motorman at the controls of what appears to be a brand-new Tramcar No 10 (possibly at Prestwick Toll loop), which would date the photograph to the tail end of 1901. Photo with kind permission of Kenny Baird.
A blow-up of the above photo, which although not sharp, clearly shows that the motorman is wearing a 'lancer-style' tunic and a soft-topped cap, the latter with script-lettering grade badge.
The crew of Tramcar No 14, which sports a sizable scratch on the dash, pose for the cameraman outside the Burns Monument Hotel - photo undated, but probably taken in 1902 or 1903.
A blow-up of the above photo showing the conductor (Employee No 31); his collar insignia, soft-topped cap and grade badge are easily discerned.
Another blow-up of the photo above, this time showing the motorman (Employee No 26), who appears to be wearing white (or light coloured) woollen gloves.
Standard script-lettering grade cap badges of the pattern used by Ayr Corporation Tramways - nickel. These badge were probably used for only the first one or two years of operation, before they were replaced by a titled cap badge (see below).
A rather motley assemblage of Ayr tramwaymen, officials and their wives, purportedly taken in 1902. Curiously, almost all the subjects appear to be staring to the left rather than at the camera, possibly indicating that someone was talking to them, perhaps giving a speech. Authors collection.
A blow-up of the above photo showing a motorman (left, in 'lancer-style' tunic) and a conductor (centre) in a plain, single-breasted jacket. The plain jackets were more than likely worn out of necessity (probably due to a shortage of uniforms) as other conductors in the photos are wearing 'lancer-style' tunics.
Another blow-up of the staff photo above, showing a conductor (Employee No 14) in 'lancer-style' tunic.
A relatively new-looking Tramcar No 13 outside St Leonard's Church - photo undated, but probably taken within the first year or two of opening. By this time the script-lettering grade badges had clearly been replaced by a new cap badge (see below).
Ayr Corporation Tramways cap badge - nickel. These badges were probably worn from the mid-Edwardian era onwards. For a long time, it was thought that they were home-made contrivances given that the centre appears to be a standard 'ACT' uniform button front, and the cross has the look of a Royal Scots regimental cap badge. Furthermore, I know of no other tramway badge that is topped by a king's crown, something that was normally characteristic of police badges. Despite all these misgivings, photos clearly show them being worn, and the die for making them survives (see below), so they are indeed genuine.
Ayr Corporation Tramways cap badge and die. Photo courtesy of South Ayrshire Council Museums and Galleries Service (see link)
Presumably the entire staff (supplemented by managers' wives), assembled at Newton Park depot in 1916. The tramcar in the background is either No 23 or No 24, Ayr's first top-covered vehicles, both of which had been delivered the previous year.
A blow-up of the above photo showing some of the motormen and conductors, who by this time were clearly wearing a more modern military style of cap with a tensioned crown (top).
Ayr Corporation Tramways motorman - photo undated, but probably taken in the late 1920s. By this time the uniform had been changed to a smart double-breasted design with lapels. Stephen Howarth collection.
Possible Ayr Corporation Tramways collar initials - nickel. 'D' presumably stood for 'Driver'.
Tramcar No 28 with Motorman/Conductor T Sloan (No 28 was a one-man operated car) - photo undated, but probably taken in the last year of operation, 1931. Photo courtesy of Ayr Library.
A blow-up of the 1916 staff photo above showing three of the inspectors.
Another blow-up of the Great War staff photo above showing seven of the female employees. It is unclear whether their bonnets bear cap badges or not.