Walsall Corporation Tramways



Owner Walsall Corporation
Took over 1st January 1901 (South Staffordshire Tramways [electric]) — 5.25 miles of track within the corporation's boundary, though immediately leased back for a period of 3 years
Operator South Staffordshire Tramways (Lessee Co) Ltd, a subsidiary of the British Electric Traction Company
Took over (operation) 1st January 1904 - corporation owned track, on expiration of the SSTLCoLtd lease
Took over (operation) 1st October 1925 (Wolverhampton District Electric Tramways) - WIllenhall to Darlaston line
Took over 1st October 1930 (Darlaston and Wednesbury lines of the SST - the last remnant of the BET-owned Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee)
Closed 30th September 1933
Length 13.51 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Title (‘WALSALL CORPORATION TRAMWAYS’) within a raised rim, surrounding the municipal device (a quartered shield) with a chained-bear crest and lion supporters
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [114/73]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title (‘WALSALL CORPORATION TRANSPORT’) within a raised rim, surrounding the municipal device (a quartered shield) with a chained-bear crest and lion supporters
Materials known Chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comments Although Walsall trams and buses were certainly carrying the legend 'Walsall Corporation Tramways and Motors' by 1920/21, tramway staff continued to be issued with uniforms bearing 'Walsall Corporation Tramways' buttons, their bus colleagues uniforms bearing 'Walsall Corporation Motors'. A new legend — 'Walsall Corporation Transport Department' — appeared on the first new trolleybuses in 1931, and afterwards on both the trams and buses. It therefore seems highly likely that tramway men would have worn uniforms bearing Pattern 2 buttons during the last few years of the system's life.