Southampton Corporation Tramways



Owner Southampton Corporation
Took over 1st July 1898 (Southampton Tramways Company [horse])
Operator Southampton Corporation
First electric route 22nd June 1900
Last horse service 3rd August 1901
Name changed mid-1930s (to Southampton Corporation Transport)
Closed 31st December 1949
Length 13.7 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) The municipal device (a shield bearing three roses), with a crest comprising a woman holding a sword, and lion supporters, all above a representation of the Solent
Materials known Brass (2-piece, open-backed construction)
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2)
Title (‘CORPORATION TRAMWAYS’) within a raised rim, surrounding the municipal device (a shield bearing three roses)
Materials known Brass; nickel (2-piece, open-backed construction)
Button Line reference [114/63]

Button description (Pattern 3) Title (‘CORPORATION TRANSPORT’) within a raised rim, surrounding the municipal device (a shield bearing three roses)
Materials known Nickel (2-piece, open-backed construction); chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [None]

Comment The name of the municipal undertaking was changed to 'Southampton Corporation Transport' in the mid-1930s (certainly by 1936); issues of new uniforms after this date would therefore almost certainly have borne Pattern 3 buttons.