Swansea Tramways (Swansea Improvements and Tramways Co Ltd)



Owner Swansea Improvements and Tramways Co Ltd
Opened 12th April 1878 (horse)
Operator Swansea Improvements and Tramways Co Ltd
Taken over 1897 (controlling interest acquired by the British Electric Traction Company Limited)
Last horse service 29th June 1900
First electric service 30th June 1900
Took over (operation) January 1905 (new Glamorgan County Council-owned Ynysforgan line)
Took over (operation) 22nd April 1905 (new Swansea Corporation-owned lines)
Took over (operation) 19th August 1905 (new Swansea Corporation-owned line to Port Tennant)
Closed 29th June 1937
Length 13.36 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Title (‘SWANSEA IMPROVEMENTS & TRAMWAYS’) within a border, surrounding assumed arms (a shield with castle beneath a small shield), with a sailing ship crest, and lion and dragon supporters, all above the motto: 'FLOREAT SWANSEA’ (let Swansea flourish).
Materials known Brass; Japanned brass
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2) Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Comments Ownership of the Swansea system was unusual in that extensions to the initial SITCoLtd network were financed by two local authorities: Swansea Corporation (6.82 miles) and Glamorgan County Council (0.62 miles). The SI&TCoLtd therefore owned just under half (5.92 miles) of the total network. At various times between 1877 and 1927, the SI&TCoLtd also operated horse and steam services on the Swansea and Mumbles Railway though it was very much a stop/start affair (due to litigation) up until 1899.

The arms are based on what was at the time of issue, the unofficial arms of Swansea; the crest however is completely different.